And of course the challenge site goes down once I finally get around to today's challenge. >.< Fortunately, KD's a few days ahead of me!
"What role do you anticipate weather playing in your story? Do you have a lot of travel that you want to complicate with bad storms? Are you going to snow in your mighty heroes? Will there be a mighty battle, determined by sudden flooding? You actually don’t need to know right now. Your exerise for today is to jot down ten plot devices that relate to weather, and what you think they do to the story."
Huh. Guess that means I should pick a story to worldbuild? >.> I suppose today could still be generic, but tentatively, at least, I'm going to go with my Mutelight verse, since it's one of the few bunnies poking at me lately that isn't set in our own world or some equivalent.
1. They start in the mountains, so an avalanche or rockslide might be important. If they're trapped, their only option may be to go through the caverns a certain (more dangerous) way...
2. Blizzard/heavy snow. I get the feeling these boys will not be too prepared for inclement weather, so they're going to have a time of it finding shelter and staying warm...
3. Aurora borealis. I already know this is significant for Mystical Plot Reasons (TM) and history, but I think it may also be something for the boys to follow as they travel. It could lead them to a cozy yet mysterious cottage in the wilderness! ^.^
4. Drought. Could be tough travelling with little water, and locals might be suspicious and ill-tempered if they're worried about their crops. And also they lead to...
5. Wildfires. They're on my mind, anyway, what with the news, but that could be another danger to throw at them. Or use to destroy something they think they desperately need... >:D
6. Thunderstorms. (No, self, "Because they're awesome," is not actually a plot device.) Uh... maybe Paori tries to call rain to end the drought/fire, and goes a little overboard? (Note: not sure Paori can actually do this. It would be cool, though. I think he may.)
7. Wind gusts.
Deus ex Poppins!
*is shot* Uh... could blow away something important, I guess. Like the scarf covering Paori's scars. Though it also makes me want to include some sort of flying scene. *ponders*
8. Rainbow (full-on double). They could stare in awe and wonder, "What does it mean?" :P Seriously, though, it could be some sort of sign, or a moment for them to stop and remember that there are beautiful things worth protecting. *insert fuzzy moment here*
9. Tornado. I... really don't want to include a tornado. Not sure if I feel it's overdone, or too close to home (even though I've never actually seen/experienced one myself). I guess it could... be another sign of death, destruction, and the apocalypse? *shrugs* Or kill someone plot-conveniently.
10. Earthquake. Destroy the whole mountain cavern temple.... or perhaps open the way to an undiscovered cavern. o.o
Made it! *falls over*